View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 7:59 PM

Our system is actually pretty good

In the past many of us, myself included have made comments on how to improve our transportation system, but after visiting Minneapolis last week, I must say that our transportation system actually works very well when compared to some other cities. Yes, Minneapolis is a smaller city, but considering they have as many fortune 500 companies (15) as Philadelphia, I thought it was a somewhat reasonable comparison. They have 1 light rail train which connects to the airport. Other than that there are buses. but because of the extremely crowded highways, buses are permitted to ride on the shoulder. As you get on the highway, signs warn you that buses are riding on the shoulder. Traffic is an absolute nightmare. A regional rail system similar to ours would do wonders out there. Overall our system of commuter lines, subway/el trains, trolleys and buses is actually pretty effective. Though it could use improvement from the standpoint of the average Philadelphian, I didn't fully appreciate how good it was until I stopped using it for a week.