View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
There are essentially two types of bus routes SEPTA runs - circulators and feeders and most routes arguably play both roles at some point between destinations.

SEPTA's bus system isn't too dissimilar from any other city as far as layout. I'd argue that express options would be a sensisble addtion since, as you so so frequently point out, the subway system isn't as extensive as it should be. There are redundant routes (the 21 for The El, the 2 for the BSS, for instance) that shadow current rail that can serve as express options in addition to creating routes along high density corridors that connect directly and almost exclusively to transit nodes and major intersections throughout the city (i.e. - a super express from say Broad & Olney to Franklin Mills or along City Avenue to Delaware Avenue, just as examples).

miketoronto in 3....2....1....
The 2, I can agree with, since it's about 2-3 blocks away from the BSL and should be on the chopping bock, but the only reason why I don't feel that the 21 should go away is because it's a good supplement for the MFL, and also because Walnut and Chestnut St are major arteries in Phila, unlike 16th in North Central Philly although 17th St, which used to be a small business district in Tioga-Nicetown, is a good arterial street for bus service.