View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:28 PM
E pluribus unum

A good chunk of the five million people in Metro Phoenix moved there from somewhere else. Lots of transients with no real ties other than they were hoping for something better than what was offered from where they came. To dumb it down even further, the people who moved here from the Midwest usually come to escape the weather or to retire, and the people moving here from California are seeking cheaper costs of living/real estate.

For example, my family moved to Phoenix from Cincinnati partly because of my asthma. The humidity and mold in Cincinnati resulted in frequent hospitalizations and the arid desert climate greatly improved my health. My dad's grandparents moved to Tempe in 1968 to alleviate my great grandmother's emphysema and while they'd died before we moved, my dad already had some familiarity with the area from past visits.

My concern is that if there is an exodus (improbable as that might be in the short term?) they'll start moving north to places like Prescott, Payson, Flagstaff and Show Low. Lots of people have second/vacation homes in these cities, but none of them have the infrastructure to support the people already living there.