View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
In the age of instagram, twitter, and cell phone cameras, everyone is a photographer, and everyone wants that perfect shot and selfie. People are always looking for the next thing. I try to rotate my visits to the decks, but Midtown is where most of the new action has been, so I sadly haven’t been to the WTC deck in a few years. But for basic view of skyscrapers, Top of the Rock is the best I think because of its central location. You’re looking out and up at supertall skyscrapers in every direction, and its only getting better.

Yeah, those classic decks were special, especially because it was at a time when the world wasnt covered in so many tall buildings.
An early plan called for a public observation deck at the top of Central Park Tower, but the plans were scrapped in favor of more condominium space. Such a deck would not have been that difficult as there are quite a few skyscrapers that are purely residential otherwise above the ground floor with public observation decks on their top floors. Examples of such buildings include the Sapphire Tower in Istanbul, Turkey, the Eureka Tower in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, and the Q1 in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Additionally, the John Hancock Center in Chicago has a public observation deck despite being a mixed use office and residential skyscraper and the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, The Shard in London, and the Lotte World Tower in Seoul all have public observation decks on top despite being mixed use office, hotel, and residential skyscrapers. Finally, the Landmark 81 in Ho Chi Minh City and King Power Mahanakhon in Bangkok have public observation decks despite being mixed use residential and hotel skyscrapers. Therefore, this was a wasted opportunity to include a public observation deck at the top of the Central Park Tower and it would have become one of the most popular tourist attractions in New York City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Park_Tower https://web.archive.org/web/20191020...-revenues.html