View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 4:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Great pics.

Yeah, I've been to One Vanderbilt and Edge in recent months, and both were packed. Midtown could probably accommodate another half-dozen observatories in the coming years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
those all look jam-packed!

real money-making machines and you certainly get a lot of bang for your buck even without the added gimmicks on the new east and west side observatories.

30 Rock has got to be the best IMHO thanks to the combination of location--smack dab in the middle Midtown but with plenty of breathing room--and the sensation of being up on the true ROOF of the building, with nothing but sky above you.

at 850', it's snuggly nestled in the upper third of of the skyline too, with a romantic near-distance crowding of skyline titans.

admittedly I've only ever done ESB and the original WTC with my parents when I was a tiny little kid, and looking forward to taking some young family members to the 1000-foot-funhouse experience of 1 Vandy, but 30 Rock has that perfect mix!

In the age of instagram, twitter, and cell phone cameras, everyone is a photographer, and everyone wants that perfect shot and selfie. People are always looking for the next thing. I try to rotate my visits to the decks, but Midtown is where most of the new action has been, so I sadly haven’t been to the WTC deck in a few years. But for basic view of skyscrapers, Top of the Rock is the best I think because of its central location. You’re looking out and up at supertall skyscrapers in every direction, and its only getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Back in the early 1930's, there were public observation decks on the top floors of the Bank of Manhattan Building at 40 Wall Street, Williamsburg Savings Bank Tower in Brooklyn, Irving Trust Building at One Wall Street, and City Bank Farmers Trust Building at 20 Exchange Place, all of which were the headquarters of banks and security was a concern even back then. This in addition to buildings that were not owned by banks like the Chrysler Building, Woolworth Building, Empire State Building, RCA Building, and the City Ssrvices Building. Makes me wish 270 Park Avenue had a public observation deck included in it's construction due to it's immense size and height.
Yeah, those classic decks were special, especially because it was at a time when the world wasnt covered in so many tall buildings.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.