View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
I agree - many of the proponents (defenders?) of these buildings are presenting a false set of alternatives: either it will be world class architecture or we settle for whatever garbage we're left with. There is definitely a middle ground where the city expects decent architecture, especially given the importance and prominence of this development. Let's hope that Baydo is willing to listen to feedback and makes some changes that will make the building less of a dated, heavy structure.
I live at The View and before I moved in I thought of it as one of the nicest looking condo towers our downtown had. Now that I've been there for a few years now I have come to realize that it looks "ok" on the outside, but is a absolute disaster on the inside. An absolute disaster where the fire department came to evaluate it last year and said it had "the most infractions seen by any building in the province". The amenities being boasted by this new build next door are uncomparable to The View. The board doesn't even want to renovate our gym that is from the original build in the 60's. This building may not be the prettiest on the outside, but with the features boasted and lower level commercial and retail right underneath, it will be the most luxurious apartment building in Saskatoon for the price people will pay - which is hopefully pretty comparable to what you'd pay around both broadway and the downtown vicinity for a condo. From my view, No1 River Landing looks very drab on the inside, along with drab tiny balconies, less the beautiful windows. The rents for that place I've seen are like ridiculous $3,000/month for two bedrooms - I wouldn't even pay that if I won the lottery. The facia may not be the prettiest, but the concept of a very efficient build will definitely move a ton of people from the burbs to downtown and create a more bustling downtown that will spur some more fancy pants No1 River Landing condos that no one but ultra rich inheritance people can afford.

I have nothing against No1 River Landing, I just don't find the cost of those condos along with condo fees attractive in any way psft.