View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 3:11 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright Concept View Post
I fault it under two conditions;
1) When the corridor under question doesn't justify the need for the extra trunk service.
Exceptions to that rule are;
* Running a trunk subway with one or two branches feeding Wilshire Corridor from Westwood to Downtown
* Downtown Regional Connector,
* The 405 corridor between Van Nuys and Westwood
* A small section serving LAX-El Segundo

These would work because the trunk serves the key corridor, destination, job center and or has a very high residential density (i'm talking Hong Kong/Paris/Tokyo like density) in question, however that is not true for a corridor let's say down Florence Avenue with branches all over the place.
So, basically, you're saying that branches are okay when they feed into major residential and commercial corridors? Is that what you're saying?

Quote:
2) There will be capacity limits to having too many branches along one corridor and with only two tracks. It's more to do with the operation side of things because the more switches and branches along the line the slower it will operate even if it's fully grade separated. And it just adds more confusion when you wait for the service.

What the map doesn't show is at the LAX section would have more than two tracks at the station (I'm assuming the section that you're refering to, or it could be the Crenshaw Map, that is a diagram of the various northern route options that it could take, not 4 or 5 lines sharing trunk on Crenshaw.) In addition El Segundo is one of the major job centers in the South Bay area so it makes sense to have a few lines with an already built grade separated corridor that serves a large job center.
I know that the Crenshaw map you posted only shows various routing options. I'm talking about the Green Line having Lincoln and South Bay branches and wonder if that would mess with the headways.

β€” Jerome Bruner