View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
Describing LaGuardia as a "new" airport is a bit controversial in the airport planning sphere for that reason, because all that's being redone is the terminals. With the same number and length of runways, and the same airspace constraints, LaGuardia won't be able to handle any more flights than it does now. The number of gates airport wide is actually going down, not that it matters because the other two issues are the primary cause of flight delays in the NYC region.
This isn't true. Essentially everything at LGA but the two main runways and control tower is being rebuilt. LGA will have much higher capacity post-rebuild, and more gates. New parking, roadways, transit, hotel. And even the runways will function different, because of the new placement of the gates, which are now on the other side of the runways, which now run beneath the terminal. The runways cannot be expanded without a gauntlet of federal approvals, and the control tower is relatively new.

When I think "new airport" I think something built from scratch, on greenfield, so I don't like the term. But LGA, functionally, will be essentially entirely new.