View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 7:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ I have a colleague who works for Google and they were never given a definitive date so this is pretty sudden for them even though many probably though it would be pushed out indefinitely. We've always had a hard return date but at least we were given a 6 month heads up. One of my co-workers even moved away from Bay Area temporarily to save 3 grand a month on rent for the next several months. I get to stay at my house here and save a ton of $$$ until I go back out there.
I work in oil and gas, haven’t heard a peep from my company about going back to the office, although in my line of work I have to find a job every 3 months to a year or so. I worked for EQT when the rona started, had to work from home for them since the lockdowns happened; until my project ended in Sept of 2021 and they laid everyone off. The new company I work for, which is a law firm, had a strict 8-5 office policy where everyone had to wear suits and ties to the office everyday. I’ve been to the office once for the 6 months I’ve worked there and there’s no signs they want us back in the office. And oil and gas law firms are usually run by very Republican people. They prob figured that it saves them tons of money on computers, energy costs, coffee costs etc and will just have us stay at home indefinitely, until I get laid off soon probably.

In the jobs I do other than one that I had, they’ve all been remote though. The best gig I had I got put on some bs oil and gas lease ownership update spreadsheet project where I really only had to work 4 hours a day to get all my shit done. That year was awesome, I traveled everywhere and just worked some hours everyday at a coffee shop wherever I was. Can’t do that now as I need 3 screens to do my job and have to work about 12 hours a day as oil and gas companies have gotten insanely competitive and don’t pay brokers like they used to. Projects that were allotted 2 weeks per file, which is really what it takes to do a good job, they now want done in 30 hours. It’s insane. All I do now is fucking work.