View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
It goes beyond the individual buildings and architectural merit in my opinion, we are demoing an entire block plus of buildings at a pretty popular intersection...it is a case of the sum is greater than the parts, the majority of the buildings contribute to the character of the neighborhood, which will be lost forever. Whatever replaces them will be complete crap, plus we'll be stuck with large concrete pillars right in the middle of the street, we're not even getting Steel support beams!
It’s not that I totally disagree with what you are saying. Yes, I wish all of this would have been left alone. But why here right now is there sudden preservation concern where there’s worse demolition atrocities happening now across the city to serviceable buildings?

I mean in this instance there’s a perfectly reasonable decision to demo these buildings. The Clark junction totally messes with the train arrivals and spacing. Despite that I consider myself a diehard preservationist and promoter of fine grain urban development, I realize there are sensible limits