View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 6:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay420 View Post

as for negative space, a lot of public space in sf is negative (UM, MEANING SURROUNDING BY BUILDINGS). and yes, i do enjoy them when i visit - u might even see some smoke rising in the corner of one some day
- ive mentioned in the 555 mission thread that i love the plaza right across the street with the bamboo and the moving sculpture. theres also a rooftop garden on a garage next to the future 535 mission thats nice and quiet.
- the new infinity plaza looks to be a good new example that i want to visit
I knew what you mean by "negative space" but I don't think the plazas at 555 or 560 Mission are "negative". They open directly to the sidewalk and invite people in. That's the problem with space totally surrounded (or mostly surrounded) by buildings, especially residential buildings where you don't live--it feels to me like invading somebody else's space except it's rare that many of the somebody elses use it. My condo building has a large second floor courtyard where the swimming pool and spa are and I can't recall but once ever spending any time there in the last decade since I don't use the pool or spa themselves much. It's too cold, cloudy and windy in San Francisco most of the time to just sit on the grass or whatever--there needs to be attractions like retail, cafes, al fresco dining etc to attract people and I'd be surprised if they design such things for these interior spaces (such amenities would also improve the "public open space" at 555/560 Mission by the way).

Looking at that Kenwood design, to me the spaces you are talking about are the architectural equivalent of light wells. They really just exist in order to allow more units in the buildings to have exterior walls with windows (albeit windows that just face other peoples' windows).

I assume one reason for the 6000 seat venue is for rock concerts and other events, some of which are now being held in ATT Park and causing complaints from neighbors. But to my knowledge, the only other venue in the city of that size might be Civic Auditorium which is pretty outdated (even though it was renovated about 10 years ago). The Opera House seats about 3000 I think and Davies is a bit smaller. I would think we do need something intermediate between those spaces and something huge like ATT Park.