View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Van Alen View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of the luxury stores that some people would like to see in CC are already in KOP. Most of those retailers still don't see Philly as a two store market. That may change in the future with all the new luxury towers like Arthaus, Laurel, and potentially "Harper Square", but until they start to see more wealthy people in the Center City market, I really don't think we'll get any luxury retail any time soon. Frankly, I've never thought it's important. We could have a perfectly good retail scene without having a proper "high street", but everybody has a different opinion on this. I know the high street topic has been hashed out on here many times (like I said, long time lurker) so I won't say any more on that.
Thanks for the insight W.V.A., it is as many of us have suspected. I also have never thought the lack of a "5th Ave." type stretch really mattered all that much. However, as more time goes on, I do believe it has a bit of a cascading effect on the whole retail landscape where middle-tier retailers don't even make the plunge and we are left with basically just outlets. I have made a conscience effort to buy more things in the city recently just because I worry more might close.

Not to bounce around topics too much too, because I do believe it's related, but saying "luxury brands don't think philly is a two store town" really makes me despise KOP even more and I truly believe the rail line to it is a net negative for the city and region as a whole (especially considering the price tag and what it could alternatively be used for).

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Jan 4, 2022 at 9:21 PM.