View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Someone I remember posted a very useful map of the approach map (I doubt that's the technical name for it) of ABIA showing the FAA height restrictions surrounding the airport. If someone remembers what I'm talking about, I'll add it to our list of helpful links here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=230371

On St. Elmo, I agree. I've always assumed that area would upzone/rezone eventually. The whole area around Ben White. All that industrial stuff. If you drive down South Congress now, it's looking sad with some vacant lots where they've already bulldozed some stuff for development, but that area could really come alive eventually.

I'm less optimistic that South First could ever be as urban as Congress and Lamar are. It's a much narrower street lacking a turn lane and there are no bike lanes, plus, it's much hillier. I used to huff and puff up those hills on my bike on the way to downtown before I finally came to my senses and took to the bike lanes on Congress. Even so, I avoid Congress these days because southern portion of South Congress is kind of hairy, and dark at night. So, I take Vinson and then dart over to Congress via either St. Elmo or Radam.
I have a feeling there would be more opposition from nearby SFHOwners to anything taller than four floors going up along South First below Ben White. There are SFHs in abundance along both sides of that corridor, and that usually does not bode well for mid rise or high rise development. South Congress/St.Elmo is a whole other ball game.