View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:49 AM

Thanks!

Rail & Depot photos from The Portal to Texas History (unless otherwise noted)

I. & G.N.R.R. Depot, (3rd & Congress) (early 1900's)
From austinpostcard.com

More info on the above postcard:

Quote:
The International and Great Northern Railroad was the second railroad to reach Austin. They completed the new line from Palestine to Austin in December of 1876. This depot was located at 3rd and Congress.

I & G N.R.R. Depot, Austin Texas - postmarked January 12, 1909
From austinpostcard.com

I & G N.R.R. Depot, Austin Texas - no postmark
From austinpostcard.com

H. & T.C.R.R. and M.K. & T.R.R. Depot, Austin, Texas (3rd & Congress) (early 1900's) - postmarked August 29, 1912
From austinpostcard.com

H. & T. C. Depot, Austin, Texas.- no postmark
From austinpostcard.com

H. & T.C. Depot, Austin, Texas (3rd & Congress) - no postmark
From austinpostcard.com

Photo of individuals gathered around the Freedom Train. Austin, Texas. - 1948

extra-large photo

Photo of back of train and Sam Wah cafe during during Harry Truman's Whistle Stop tour. Austin, Texas. - 1948

extra-large photo

Photo of President Harry Truman during his Whistle Stop campaign, crowd and staff of the train car. Austin, Texas - 1948

extra-large photo

Missouri-Pacific Lines - Depot Opening - exterior view - 1949 To me this looks more like a remodeled & renamed I. & G. N. R. R. Station at Congress & 3rd. Plus I don't think 1949 would be the right year because it's visible in the 1948 photos of Harry Truman's Whistle Stop Tour posted above and it looks like it was already open then.
[/b]

extra-large photo

Missouri-Pacific Lines - Depot Opening - Two men standing by railroad tracks. Tips Engine Works is in background. - 1949 This station looks like it was where the Amtrak Station is today. I recognize those buildings across from the tracks.

extra-large photo

Aerial view looking NW from about the north approach to Lamar bridge. At the lower right, RR tracks cross Lamar Blvd. - 1950

extra-large photo

I wonder when the original train station on N. Lamar was torn down, because that's definitely not the station that's there today.

March 6, 2009