View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 3:56 PM

i thought they changed the name to I Lift NY..

clearly says Left Coast Lifter on the side..

article from NY Post.

Photo: Chad Rachman

http://nypost.com/2014/01/30/i-lift-...an-zee-bridge/

‘I Lift New York’ crane ends 6,000-mile trip to rebuild Tappan Zee Bridge
By Rebecca HarshbargerJanuary 30, 2014 | 12:47pm
Modal Trigger
‘I Lift New York’ crane ends 6,000-mile trip to rebuild Tappan Zee Bridge
The "I Lift New York" arrives in New York Harbor.

A massive crane that will build the new Tappan Zee Bridge arrived in New York Harbor and passed the Statue of Liberty Thursday morning after a 6,000-mile odyssey from California to the Panama Canal.
Originally called the Left Coast Lifter, it has now been christened the I Lift New York.
The floating crane can lift up to 1,750 tons, and replaced part of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, the largest public infrastructure project in California’s history.
It left Oakland Harbor for New York on Dec. 21, and was pulled by two tug boats along California, Mexico, and Central America. It passed through the Panama Canal on Jan. 15.
The crane is now on its way to a Port Authority facility in Jersey City, according to a Thruway Authority spokesman.
The crane will tear down the existing Tappan Zee Bridge, and then help build the new bridge’s structure and foundation.
It is expected to shorten construction time, and cut costs in building because it is so powerful.
“The Lift New York super crane can lift the equivalent of twelve Statues of Liberty at once,” said Governor Cuomo in a statement today. “And its ability to lift huge modular components of the new bridge into place and to help dismantle the old bridge will reduce construction time by months and reduce project costs by millions of dollars.”