View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
It sure doesn't feel like ASU is a top 25 sports school. Given that it's the only major D-1 school in a metro area of 5 million, it's sad that it cannot do better mining AZ talent. In fact other programs have AZ circled as a state where talent can be absorbed since there aren't many D1 options in state but there are a ton of students. Our best players consistently go out of state.

I agree that alumni could do a better job of attending games, but they've done everything possible to kill the old tailgate experience so I won't even go any more. Tailgating was half the fun. I miss the 90's Saturday middle of the afternoon experience. Now it's Thursday and Friday night games fighting students for parking spots. It's $14 beers in a smaller stadium that feels more corporate than a University.

I think you're dreaming if you think a couple million here and there from Omni or the Novus athletic facilities district is going to make a big difference in the quality of ASU sports teams. As I understand it, those revenue sources are to pay for the bonds for many of the current facilities like the stadium upgrade. I don't think a few new sports facilities will change the culture. Also the Novus thing is now 12 years old and they have done what 3 or 4 midrise deals? I spoke with a developer from Texas who does high end multifam and he said he told ASU 'No' because they were such a pain in the butt to deal with so it wasn't worth it. They just had too many demands and dealing with them as your land owner is viewed as a 'cost' to them. There's a reason all the other Tempe parcels are getting developed while the old golf course sits dormant.

I saw a Novus slide deck several years ago that said the most prime parcel in Novus was on the NW corner Rural/Univ by the LR stop and to maximize the returns to Novus it needed to be min 10 stories (as I recall, it's been a minute) to get the proper value and I think they did 5-6 stories there. Not a good start. Also important to note their best deals: Marina Heights, Omni, Mirabella are all outside the Athletic Facilities Dist so they can't package those revenues with the stuff inside the AFD to sell bonds. Seems like developers didn't want to be inside Novus and pay a full ad valorem rate.
ASU is consistently within the top 25 ever season, at least for while.

No other sports matter outside of football.