View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:51 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
If that's the case, then I guess nobody goes to Chicago or Detroit either...

Why are they so bent on traveling to a region that is geographically isolated? What is in Philly, DC, or New York that isn't in Cleveland, Detroit or Chicago -- I mean, besides the obvious things?

I'd bet that they travel to Philly and NYC because there's a train, in addition to decent airline service, that gets them there. If I still lived in Pittsburgh and there was a train to Chicago that left at a decent time, I guess I'd be one of the select few who would actually go there, based on your comment, regardless of business or pleasure as being the main reason for the trip...
Uhhh... Pittsburgh is way closer to the allegedly "isolated" major cities of the East Coast than Chicago. DC is particularly close - closer than Detroit, a city most Pittsburghers have no reason to travel to. It has nothing to do with being "hell bent". People are making rational travel decisions... Pittsburghers are more intertwined with the East Coast than with the Midwest.

Look at your own situation, JonBoy... do you live in Cleveland or Detroit? No. You're a Pittsburgher living in suburban Philly. Pittsburgh's primary nodes of population and economic interchange are DC/Philly/NYC. This is driven by generations of labor markets, migration patterns, business development, universities, etc. Cleveland might be close... but there isn't a whole lot going on between PGH-CLE to prioritize such a route above eastern connections... and there's much less connectivity between PGH and more distant Midwestern cities. Toledo? South Bend? Are you kidding me? Pittsburgh's orientation is to the east.

One of the "obvious reasons" for this orientation is detailed in this 2010 study by Pitt's University Center for Social and Urban Research:

Quote:
Destinations of the largest out-migration flows from the Pittsburgh Metro SA
between 2009 and 2010 included the Washington, DC (1,133 out-migrants),
Philadelphia (1,065 out-migrants), and New York City (1,024 out-migrants) Metro
SAs.

Regions that were the originations of the largest migration flows into the Pittsburgh
Metro SA between 2009 and 2010 were the New York City (1,050 in-migrants) ,
Philadelphia (956 in-migrants) and Washington DC (903 in-migrants) Metro SAs.

Last edited by Evergrey; Feb 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM.