View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 3:33 PM

Method for controlling the inevitable inelastic displacements of structures during an

Method for controlling the inevitable inelastic displacements of structures during an earthquake.

Bending, tipping moment, subsidence, torsional buckling = deformation and inelastic deformation = failure. These are the weapons of the earthquake to destroy our constructions, their content and our lives. In an earthquake the uneven deformations of the structure are as many as the multi-directional displacements of the earthquake. All materials have a small or large elasticity when bent and when terminated, inelastic displacement follows. Elasticity is the displacement of a pillar when it does not show leaks - failures. Inelastic is the displacement of a pillar when it shows leaks - failures. When the column is displaced in the elastic region, its body returns to its original position. When the pillar is displaced in the inelastic region, its body does not return to its original position. That is, the deformation in the inelastic displacement is permanent. If the leak failures are small there is no problem. But if the failure leaks become large cracks, and pass to a breaking point, and there are many on the construction, the construction will collapse. Today we have modern seismic regulations. I believe that modern seismic regulations have a big problem because they are unable to control the inevitable inelastic behavior of the structure if the earthquake is large. If we could control the deformation of structures in large earthquakes, so that it never passes into inelastic deformation but only shifts within the elastic region then we would not have failures and collapses. My research is based on inventing the method and mechanisms that will control the deformation of structures when very large earthquakes occur, so that their displacement always takes place within the elastic region where there are no failures. To stop the deformation of the structure, I must ensure that the bearing elements do not deform, eliminating the causes that create deformation. Deformation is caused by 1) bending, 2) tipping moment, 3) soil subsidence, 4) from torsional buckling 1. We prevent bending in two ways a) Constructing elongated walls with multidimensional cross section. b) Applying compression to the cross section of the walls, from all its sides, using the pre-tensioning mechanism with high-strength tendons. 2. We stop the overturning moment of the wall by anchoring the wall with the foundation ground. Today they try to stop the torque of the wall with the beams with which they are connected at the nodes. But ... When the earthquake is big, the torque of the wall increases, bending the trunks of the beams inelasticly, the construction breaks and collapses.

For this reason, on the one hand, I created ground and wall anchoring in order to direct the overturning intensities in the ground in order to prevent them from being driven on the trunks - cross sections of the beams and to break them, and on the other hand, I stopped the deformation of the wall trunk from bending. , by imposing compressive stresses on its cross section. And the bending of the wall transmits bending intensities to the beams and breaks them. 3. Uneven subsidence of the soil causes deformation in the cross sections of the bearing elements. The anchoring mechanism I created does not allow subsidence 4. Torsional buckling It is usually created in asymmetrical, tall, and metal structures. I solved this kind of deformation by properly sizing the cross-sections of the elongated walls and by imposing compressive stresses on their cross-sections. Without deformation there are no failures. I neutralized the cutting base and the shear failure by imposing compressive stresses on the cross sections of the walls. Experiment, made according to the rules of the micro-scale, but with an acceleration of 2.41g of natural earthquake, with a very long duration. The best constructions today are designed to withstand 0.36g and can withstand for a short time up to 0.7g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoM5pEy7n9Q

The cross-sections around the nodes react to the overturning torque of the wall with opposite torques. The weakest are the cross sections of the beams which fail first. Question Why not make them stronger? Answer To make them stronger we must add mass of concrete and steel. But the mass increases the inertia and therefore the tensions. The opposite momentum coming from the ground has no mass so it does not create inertia tensions. So the opposite torques of the beams (those created within the elastic displacement area) together with the opposite torques coming from the ground balance the overturning torque of the wall and no failures occur.

Last edited by seismic; Apr 6, 2021 at 7:48 PM.