View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 3:54 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
I voted for Carter in 1976 based on his BS about changing government - sunset legislation, zero-based budgeting, etc. I see Obama as another Carter, and I'm not making the same mistake twice. When Carter's term was over the US was suffering from stagflation and high misery index, and his fine words, prepared by a fine speechwriter, were all for nothing. This time, I say let the old man handle it. If we're in a socioeconomic decline, at least I'll feel better about it. By the way, The Byrd is 19 years older than McCain, who is 71. There are 6 members of the Senate who are over 80. Ted Kennedy is 76. So age means nothing when you are entitled to the best medical treatment in the world.
Okay, you are implying that Obama has no words of his own and is incapable of writing his own speech. Unfortunately, Obama is actually quite literate if you've read his books. His race speech, for example was something he hammered out in one night on his own.

This is what I mean about people never giving him credit. Every time his name comes up people assume he is inept or something despite all the evidence to the contrary. I remember you telling me that Obama couldn't win because there were not enough southern states left. No one ever questioned Hillary or anyone else for that matter. No one was sure of anything at all when this all began except that Obama had no chance in hell which of course was just wishful thinking and cynicism.

No one seems to mind McCain's speech writers and no one seems to question McCain's call for change. It is just Obama we can't trust and it is Obama who can only read speeches.

I really do suggest that you read the Audacity of Hope. Obama isn't radical or proposing anything drastic. He is proposing the democratic agenda. You can disagree with that all you like, but it has nothing to do with age. The only difference is that he doesn't have any lobbies or special interests to pander to or slow down bills or warp his agenda.

If you are worried about the modern economy, one would assume you wouldn't be supporting the continuation of the policies that got us here. Trust me, an old person is not automatically the right person. Please actually read his policies before you decide you are against them. Also it would do to note McCain's lack of policies regarding a dozen issues addressed in Obama's issue page. McCain's entire economic policy is providing tax cuts. If you really think thats all that is wrong with the economy, that it is over-taxed, well then point taken. If you think that more is going on, join me on a trip to actual policy land.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

You know stagflation is better than recessionflation if that was the worse case.

Last note for kicks, the Democratic Party as of Wednesday stopped taking money from lobbies on Obama's order as new leader of the party. Hmm, well government has been changed, whats left not to believe?

Last edited by dante2308; Jun 7, 2008 at 4:04 AM. Reason: well, partisan politics on forums and all. Might as well make a lengthy point