View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 9:23 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Right. . . I mean there's a not-so-insignificant population of people in Houston from every country that has any hydrocarbon industry. . . it's just that from a street level view most people are in their cars, but those retail strip malls are all packed full of international shops. . .

Also I wonder if the international communities have less of a "neighborhood" than older cities do. . . so like Hillcroft is touted as being a center for South Asian community in Houston (maybe I'm mistaken?), but aside from a few retail centers off of 69 it's not very visible. . . whereas a similar neighborhood in Chicago such as Devon Ave is wall to wall Indian/Pakistani. . . it's more like our Arab community which is more spread out with a more similar car-oriented epicenter on the far southwest side (I've never even ventured to it, but it's there apparently). . .

From my dial surfing while I was spending time in Houston it appears they also has a full-on desi radio station that I found interesting. . . it would be neat to see more of that. . .

. . .
Yeah. Most immigrant groups and ethnicities here are pretty scattered. Huge contrast compared to where I came from where old Italians and Polish groups remained clustered in their neighborhoods until they croaked off well into the 80's and 90's. Houston is pretty boring in the respect that when immigrants land here, they settle in among the 'locals' and not some colorful ethnic enclave.