View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 8:15 PM

Norfolk's LRT is on a very small scale as far as light rail goes. I'm used to Denver's system, which as a passenger I know intimately. However, Norfolk's system is intriguing because it is on a smaller scale. For instance, There are only eight certified LRT drivers in the first class (of drivers), and only nine LRVs in Norfolk. The stations along the entire route are built specifically for one-car trains (as opposed to four-car trains in Denver). The route spends most of its time at-grade with numerous grade crossings.

Judging from the articles I've read, It seems the light rail is proving convenient, personable, and clean. That is exactly the kind of service that wins over high and middle-income riders, which is important if the system is prone to growth. I think Norfolk has a great system on its hands that will help to bring large amounts of medium-density growth to the city. It will also begin to engender a new transit culture there among the middle class, which is very important to building successful new transit routes.

I think the system's small scale and friendly atmosphere is part of the equation that is winning over riders.

Looking at Google Maps, It seems the most natural expansion is to go East along what looks to be a disused railroad ROW to Virginia Beach. My mom had me give one of her friends from Norfolk a tour of Manhattan, KS while he was here for a visit, and we ended up chatting for a long while about the light rail system. He fondly remembers taking the streetcar between downtown Norfolk and Virginia Beach every weekend with his friends. He says they ran in a loop at Va. Beech but were on they're own ROW between the two cities.

I recently got a job with American Airlines, so I hope to get over to Norfolk sometime to get a chance to explore the system!

Norfolk now has really bucked the trend. Every middle-sized city in the country has at least talked about doing Light Rail. While Norfolk had some implementation issues, it looks like they've got something every other city will try to emulate. If it continues to be a great success, I hope that it will be a lot easier to convince leaders in cities like Wichita, Reno, or Fresno that light rail can work in smaller formats.

Also, streetcars are a win.