View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 27, 2021, 2:01 AM
Volatile Pacivist

That vehicle is very interesting, but not something I'd personally consider buying. I just wish a Canadian company was working on something more like the Protera car. Something that focuses on being lightweight and ultra efficient. I feel like so many electric car makers are basically making their sole goal to be the replication of the basic ICE car experience rather than using the opportunity to consider totally new ways of doing things.

Yes the fossil fuel component is the biggest problem with traditional cars, but it isn't the only problem. They are too large, too heavy and too resource intensive to be a sustainable part of an 8 billion person world. It's important to remember that while climate change is currently the most pressing issue, it isn't the only aspect of sustainability that needs attention. Using the ecological footprint calculator to determine the number of earths that would be required to support the planet if everyone lived like me, it shows that with my current lifestyle we'd need 2.2 earths which is only about 1/2 the average for Canada.

I don't currently have a car but I sometimes rent so as an estimate I said that I drive an average of 26km per week with a 6L/100km vehicle. I went back and re-calculated by reducing the fuel efficiency of the vehicle by 2/3 from 6 to 2/100km (about that of the Hyundai Kona EV) while tripling the distance traveled. The outcome is that rather than staying about the same, my ecological footprint changed from 2.2 to 3.4. More than an entire earth more. Which doesn't really surprise me because while a much more efficient vehicle that uses 1/3 the energy will emit significantly less carbon, if I drove three times more it require far more vehicles to be produced. And while an EV may last longer than an ICE vehicle, t's probably not 3x longer.

Overall, I agree that changing people's behaviours is hard and any improvement is valuable. I also agree that it isn't really the place of a private business to induce consumer behavioural change. But with that being said, it needs to be somebody's place because the change needs to happen if civilization is going to sustain itself over the medium and long term.

The cool thing is that Toronto-based Daymak has proposed an efficient 3-wheeled EV that hopefully will reach production. It isn't as efficient as the Protera car, but still better than conventional cars and is something I'd consider buying depending on my lifestyle in the medium term. Daymak got its start by making ebikes (one of which i bought) and mobility scooters, so they're an established company even though they've never attempted something like this before. I'll definitely be watching closely.