View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 11:25 PM
BANNED

^^^The fact that right here we can get such disagreement explains, in microcosm, why SF has such mediocre architecture. Put us all in a room and try to arrive at a design none of us hate too much and you will end up with what SF has. If we want a great TransBay terminal and tower, they need to tell us all to shut up and let the architect (even SOM but I hope it isn't them) build it the way they want. John King probably won't like it and lots of people will complain, but in 30 years it will be seen as a great building.

By the way, since you gave no indication you recognized it, that airport building I posted is Dulles International, Washington's main airport. Designed by Finnish starchitect Eero Saarinen, it was build on farmland so far from downtown most locals (of which I was then one) thought nobody would use it. Now, of course, the beauty of the building is recognized by nearly everyone (with a few exceptions ) and Washington's transit system and expanding urban area has made it quite useable. My point here is just that the average person--given far to much say about development in SF--pretty much lacks vision.