View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
Every one is entitled to their opinion, and I don't object to this as a casual observation. But I think the real motivation is not so much the desire to cash in short term by capturing more housing fees, but instead is really motivated by the belief that if students stay in housing and they build a strong community and have a great time, they will look more fondly on the University over the years and one day make the big pay out that will put a smile on the development office's face.
I agree with this. It might also be a reaction to increasing concerns among current and prospective students (whether fair or not) that Chicago is a less safe place to live. And that rents in Hyde Park and now Woodlawn are becoming more expensive. I bet that the College will market its dorms to upperclassmen as secure and relatively cheap places to live close to campus.

Meanwhile, check this out: The satellite view of the University of Chicago and Hyde Park has just been updated in Google Earth. See here:

https://earth.google.com/web/search/...pAId8GRBhWp0rA

You'll also see at the link that an intrepid pedestrian captured new street level photos of the campus in March for Google Street View. He covered all the quads and offers a first view (for me, at least) of the newly built multiuse facility on Kimbark across the Midway. (I think it looks very good.) Spend some time with it!