Thread: PhoenixMart
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
No, this actually encourages sprawl. If most of Casa Grande wasn't single family home and had some kind of transportation, I would buy your theory. If there was commuter rail between Phoenix/Casa Grande/Tucson then what you say would make more sense. Given that this project would be auto dependent, sprawl would be inevitable and one reason I hope this project is a joke. I also don't think it is the smartest idea to locate this project in haboob/dust storm central in Pinal County...disturbing that much desert soil all at once will be problematic. The long-term consequences from so many cars kicking up that much dust in the region will mean more unhealthy air.
It would be smart if they left easements/land for a future buildout of commuter rail or high-speed rail between Phoenix and Tucson. If this is going to be a true convention area with out-of-state visitors, a rail connection to Sky Harbor and the rest of the valley would be valuable. That'd be a very expensive taxi ride from Sky Harbor to Casa Grande.