Thread: PhoenixMart
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
Actually, it's pretty basic urban planning to create a central district in the middle of no where. It helps prevent sprawl, in theory. The idea is that people are moving to these areas. Without a central spot to draw jobs and those people, then sprawl would be out of control.That's how cities like Irvine became cities. Anyway, I suspect this is strategizing for the future more than it's a concrete plan.
No, this actually encourages sprawl. If most of Casa Grande wasn't single family home and had some kind of transportation, I would buy your theory. If there was commuter rail between Phoenix/Casa Grande/Tucson then what you say would make more sense. Given that this project would be auto dependent, sprawl would be inevitable and one reason I hope this project is a joke. I also don't think it is the smartest idea to locate this project in haboob/dust storm central in Pinal County...disturbing that much desert soil all at once will be problematic. The long-term consequences from so many cars kicking up that much dust in the region will mean more unhealthy air.