View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I was very much on track when I stated that making the standard a global one in terms of world recognition is something that you're not really going to be able to prove for any of the cities you mentioned. I also don't think that's a necessary condition for possessing high cultural impact.

My simply point in mentioning the Olympics was to say that it gained worldwide exposure by hosting it, although it seems like forever ago at this point. But that event served as the city's introduction to the world. Apart from that, if you still want to use a global standard, I'd say Atlanta is fairly recognized throughout the Global African Diaspora. America's cultural exports tend to have a disproportionately Black influence, and Atlanta is a/the premier hub of Black American culture right now.
I guess I sort of started some of this, so I need to explain more of my opinion. As a black American, I am aware that Atlanta is the major hub of black America and it has MLK history, and I think it is a pretty area. In fact, I have two brothers that moved there from NY and knew many people from NY that moved there. I still think of New Orleans or even a non-southern city like Detroit as more a brand than Atlanta. Atlanta certainly has a brand and a unique history, and every city has one to an extent, but I see more of a specialness or uniqueness in New Orleans than Atlanta. But that's just my opinion...