View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Park View Post
Thanks for this. A new podcast to add to my subscriptions. I was able to hear about half of it and found it thought provoking. I'm pro development and also what she would call a "neighborhood defender."
This has been debated before only Wash Park was the (primary) focus.

With respect to Denver, Ken's own residential survey finds over 4,000 residential units under construction with another 8,000 in the pipeline. There's prolly another 4-5,000 units that will be built outside the line. Thousands more are in conceptual planning.

The current zoning claims of the 'neighborhood defenders' or other sources that promote upzoning as the only cure for affordability has many intentionally overlooked dynamics and fallacies. The only way Curtis Park could move the needle would be to scrape it clean and open the area up to much higher density.

With respect to an incremental approach, adding a few hundred units over the next 10 years won't hurt but it will hardly move the needle. But if more is better than less, then sure. From my personal view the notion of more "missing middle" sounds sexy. But will it impact affordability? Fat chance.

Some context please

Denver is not Boston, NYC or San Francisco. Denver is not a coastal city. The current land available for much higher density in Denver is enormous. I love all the current "infill" and there's an easy two more decades for this to continue. I know this b/c bulldurhamer said so and he's no ordinary junk yard dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Now killing residential parking minimums....
will only help when developers and their equity partners, investors and lenders decide "all that parking" isn't necessary. Denver has been evolving some but there's room for much more change for sure.