View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerWaschbär View Post
The caissons you're pointing out are rock socketed. By the time those start settling the initial volcanic gases will have already wiped out Chicago's inhabitants.

Hello DerWaschbär

If the use of rock socketed caissons and nothing new in high rise construction was sufficient for such structure, would not need a load distributing and structure retaining, support mat for perhaps half the surface area immediately below load bearing features (i.e. core and risers) with the mat placed furthest from the river bank, else one would need to use just more caissons or less, pilings.

As a side note and not saying such will occur in this situation, when water enters cracks in the rocks between caisson and mat, the cracks expand during the winter deep freeze, which along with vibration from truck traffic on lower Wacker Drive to building induced inertia from wind buffet, could over several decades or more (e.g. ~50 years), result in the caissons to migrate slightly outwards, away from the mat. It's not "initial volcanic gases" or any form of "out gassing" from the rock and insignificant today that results in the exfoliating of rock. The base rock in Chicago and to which I can attest being that the concrete for this morning’s pour comes less than 10 miles from where we use to hang out along the Kishwaukee River when young, is composed of sedimentary rock such as dolomite and limestone, not volcanic like that found in western regions of our nation to that I use to live on top of on Maui and the Big Island of Hawai`i, with the volcanic vent Puu`o being visible from my second floor deck. Your very dismissing retort and brash is the product of being indifferent to not having accountability.

Last edited by seadragon; Sep 15, 2018 at 6:03 PM.