View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
This bill, although massive, will fall short. Just like the stimulus bill in 2009. Imagine what we could get for 2 trillion if it were almost all spent on roads, rails, buses, and public transit overall. Even if only 80% went to those areas, we would see 1.6 trillion spent on transport.

Every bridge could be upgraded. Every large city could get rid of their maintenance backlogs, expansions could happen, buses purchased, bike infrastructure could explode in all major cities. It would be transformational.

This ain't it.
I agree. The more and more I think about this proposal the more I don't like it. Initially I was super excited but I keep seeing article after article comparing freeway removals like 375 in Detroit(which is justified) to the 345 in Dallas which would be flat out moronic to remove for multiple reasons. Roads and freeways are going to get a massive shaft and we aren't even getting anything THAT exciting in the way of any mass transit expansion which is also needed like HSR.

The Amtrak proposal while needed isn't that exciting. It will bring our rail network from 1880 to 1930. Oh boy I can't wait and there are several missing connections that boggle my mind. I'm still leaning towards supporting it just because our infrastructure is in such dire condition but the more and more I learn about this proposal the less I like it.

Like you said, when you think of what a straight 2.1 trillion could do if injected straight into our roads, electric lines, rail, ports/waterways, and airports, it makes it even more maddening.