View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ yeah past wheeling afaik its just mountain highway. and you are definitely not in ohio anymore!
There are roads along both sides of the Ohio River for almost its entire length (occasionally a road dips uphill and inland out-of-sight of the river to avoid an unstable hillside or to cross a tributary at a narrow point). I've never heard of anyone biking its entire length from Cairo to Pittsburgh. In some places the road is ideal but more often it is a pseudo-expressway, especially on the Ohio side. Lots of getting passed by tractor trailers and dump trucks, so not a consistently pleasant ride.

Believe it or not, but they consider this to be a bike route. I've only ridden it once: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9620...7i16384!8i8192

A bikeway along one side of the river or the other would be difficult to build cheaply because of all of the private ownership, driveways, railroad tracks, etc. There would be a temptation to simply wide the existing roads with a protected bike path but to create a pleasant ride experience you'd want a dedicated parallel path some distance away from the traffic.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Oct 18, 2022 at 2:55 PM.