View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 7:17 PM
New Yorker for life

http://tribecatrib.com/content/seapo...p-pier-17-mall

'Seaport' or 'Tropeas'? Big Lit-Up Sign Headed for Top of Pier 17 Mall

By JESSICA TERRELL

Quote:
On the upper level of the soon-to-be rebuilt Pier 17 mall will be an expansive public lawn, outdoor performance space, sweeping views of the Brooklyn Bridge—and a 90-foot-long sign that spells out “TROPAES”?

In nine-foot-high illuminated letters, that's what visitors will see towering above them.

Howard Hughes Corporation’s proposal to place a large illuminated sign, which would read “SEAPORT” backwards to those with a view from the Manhattan side, drew some very mixed reviews this month among those who weighed in on its appropriateness in the South Street Seaport Historic District. Community Board 1’s Landmarks Committee, advisory to the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission, offered a scathing assessment of the sign.

“I don’t think you need to scream out that this thing exists in the evening, and I don’t think you need to scream out that it exists during the day either,” CB1 Landmarks Committee Chair Roger Byrom told representatives of the Hughes Corp on Oct. 11. “I don’t think it adds anything. We know it’s the Seaport.”

But the plan got unanimous approval from the Landmarks Commission on Tuesday, Oct. 23. “I think [the sign] is excellent," said LPC vice-chair Pablo Vengoechea. "It does recall an industrial building, but at the same time it is appropriate to this use.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.