View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 2:27 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/21/di...s-upgrade.html

At Madison Square Garden, it’s Hey, Getcher Lobster Roll

Madison Square Garden will reopen with a new menu, including, from left, Andrew Carmellini's brats braised in Belgian beer, Drew Nieporent's Daily Burger and Jean-Georges Vongerichten's Simply Chicken.

By GLENN COLLINS
September 20, 2011

Quote:
After being closed for 20 weeks, Madison Square Garden is about to unveil its new upgraded carte du jour as part of a six-year, $850 million refurbishment.

Sausage Boss by Andrew Carmellini is one of four new concessions that high-end restaurateurs have created to serve mainstream food at the 43-year-old arena. Jean-Georges Vongerichten will offer Simply Chicken, Drew Nieporent will serve up burgers at Daily Burger and Jeremy Marshall of Aquagrill will open Lobster and Shrimp Roll, which pretty much describes his fare.

Also coming will be pastrami, corned beef and knishes from the Carnegie Deli; chopped brisket — and hand-carved prime rib — sandwiches from Hill Country; kosher food from Carlos & Gabby’s; a gluten-free concession; and desserts from Magnolia Bakery.

Long-suffering fans — some of whom have smuggled in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to temper the cost and agita of dining at the Garden, are about to enter a new era. “We are quite passionate about the food,” said Hank J. Ratner, the arena’s president.

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2011/0...e-tastier.html
The New Madison Square Garden Will Be Tastier

By Seth Rosenthal
9/21/11

Quote:
First of all, a quick salute to shitty arena food. Madison Square Garden's concessions, at least in my lifetime, have always been a unique, appropriately offensive experience. Something about the meek floppiness of those personal pizzas or the lardaceous glistening of Ranch One chicken and fries seemed an ideal accompaniment to, say, watching the Knicks or Rangers. Times are changing, though. As the Garden rounds out the first of its summertime renovations, those in charge will hop on board with the sportswide craze of offering choicer concessions. Stands curated by chefs and options for a wider range of tastes and dietary restrictions will line the arena's widened network of concourses. The Times has the details...

And if you read the article, there's much more. I want very badly to be a traditionalist and thumb my nose (getting grease all over my nose in the process) at fancy concessions, but ... damn, that sounds delicious. Of course, if you give a fan an organic chicken sandwich with spicy mayonnaise, he'll probably ask for somewhere to ... go with it.

Does the new Garden accommodate the enjoyment of such exquisite dishes?

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.