View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2008, 11:54 PM

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/in...overturns.html

Quote:
Genesee County judge overturns arbitrator's multi-million dollar price tag on Genesee Towers
by Shena Abercrombie | The Flint Journal
Saturday May 17, 2008, 3:04 PM

FLINT, Michigan -- A Genesee County judge has overturned an arbitrator's ruling that the city must pay millions of dollars to take over the dilapidated Genesee Towers in downtown Flint.

Circuit Court Judge Geoffrey Neithercut confirmed the Friday ruling but said he could not comment on his decision.

Arbitrator Valdemar Washington, himself a former Genesee circuit judge, had ruled the city would have to pay more than $6 million to Genesee Towers owners Kumar and Sasikala Vemulapalli to take over the site.

Downtown leaders have long wanted to put new development on the property and renovate the aging and vacant structure.

Mayor Don Williamson said today that he knew nothing about Neithercut's decision.

"I hope it's right," he said in response to news that Neithercut had issued the opinion.

Said City Attorney Trachelle Young: "I have not heard anything at all about that. We are fighting vigorously in that regard, but I have not heard a single thing."

The Journal could not reach the Vemulapallis for comment this afternoon.

Good news for now, but I expect there will be some appeal. Hopefully logic will prevail and there will be a quick compromise.