View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:51 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, 7'x9' is definitely very small for a bedroom.

i wouldn't have a problem putting a child on a twin bed in a bedroom that size, but for an adult on a full-size bed? i'm with you, no thanks.

the master bedroom in our place is 10'x13', which is very small by suburban master bedroom standards, but that gets us a queen with a night stand on either side and a couple dressers on the opposite wall. that's all i really need from a room where i'm asleep 95% of the time.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The primary issue with bedrooms being small is when you have 2-3 people sharing an apartment. Sometimes you get annoyed with your roommates and just want to hang out alone in your room for privacy. Having a 7X9 box for a room becomes an issue then.

People will tolerate that sort of thing in Manhattan but in Chicago we're just not there yet.

I suspect that as rents go up over the years, that will change. Otherwise we will have to tear down all of our prewar building stock--and nobody wants that. Brand new construction will charge premium rents, but those who want a bargain will have to give up some space and live in this older building stock. It is precisely for this reason that rising rents and gentrification are a good thing--it continues to allow investment in these century old buildings.
And this.

Aaron (Glowrock)