View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ On top of Ardecila's point, I would add that the local leadership (Dorothy Tillman) was somewhat of a roadblock to development. The current Alderman is pretty supportive of new development in the area, but the problems that now remain are 1) crime 2) bad reputation & the legacy of public housing, and 3) a slower housing market. Nevertheless, plenty of recent initiatives have been taken to redevelop land directly around green line stops on the south side. The question is whether they will be successful.

Also, I can't fathom how Chicago will redevelop underutilized land if it cuts transit service to it. I understand your point, but Chicago's south and west sides have so much vacant land that by cutting bus/train service, you're basically giving up on it, which would only make it less desirable for future developers.
1. The renovated Green Line is not enough in itself to spur TOD on the south side. I think the same can be said about the blue line out west. Agreed?

2. "I can't fathom how Chicago will redevelop underutilized land if it cuts transit service to it." Think about this. Can Chicago afford to have transit service to "underutilized land"? Any good business goes after its best customers. These are the people on the brown, purple, and red line on the north side. I am NOT saying that the CTA should make money, I am saying that taking care of your best customers is a sound practice in the real world beyond government organizations. And especially when the CTA budget situation is so dire, you have to make tough choices. Of course, politics will prevent Chicago from doing what is best for itself, as so often in the past...