View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I agree that removing all motor vehicle traffic from the bridge would face some resistance. I argue that it would be worth it for a number of reasons such as cost, downstream lane capacity, and urban design. But it's not even a necessary disagreement since the bridge is set to be replaced in any event. If it were really important to have car lanes on it, the new bridge could be built to accommodate both two tram lanes and bi-directional car lanes.
As I said in the Interprovincial bridge crossing discussion thread when discussing removing vehicles from the Alexandra Bridge:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I would argue that it is even more important is reducing the number of lanes on the MC bridge (if not eliminating it altogether). It funnels way too much traffic into Lower Town, most of which is destined elsewhere.

I am not altogether opposed to the closing of the Alexandra to cars, but it is more of a link between Lower Town and Hull.
I don't have stats to back it up, but I can't see many people using the Alexandra Bridge who's origin/destination isn't either Hull or Lower Town. Even then, if they are coming from or going to somewhere further away, the MC bridge is likely a more popular choice.