View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The main argument for me is even without the Flames, Calgary would eventually build a 12,000-16,000 seat large arena show music venue which could also hold hockey and figure skating in a pinch. And since that would likely be a ~$300 million investment, why not go in on a joint use with someone like the Flames.

Sure you can argue the public shouldn't subsidize 12,000 seat large arena music, and I would point out in response that the Alberta subsidizes 2,500 seat Broadway shows, 1,800 seat concerts, etc.
This is the most effective argument for me. I reluctantly was OK with the deal up until the cost increase - while it was still a financial loser for the city, making that deal with The Flames was probably the least bad option that could realistically be expected in order to get a modern facility.

But now there is a cost increase (despite contingencies)! And CSEC, true to form, are being tone deaf and have an outsize opinion of their importance, arrogantly making obscene demands. I'll accept a cost increase, but I want the city to play hard ball here and stand up for taxpayers. They must be prepared to walk from the deal and start over.