View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:18 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
But the planned rail distances are longer. Cincinnati>Columbus will be about 130 miles because it plans to deflect to Dayton, which has about 1 million people.

The more direct route, now known as the I&O Midland Subdivision, is owned and operated by a regional independent short line, not the area heavyweights, CSX and Norflolk-Southern.

This short line loosely parallels the east side of I-71 for 107~ miles, but critically passes through the wealthiest area of Cincinnati, Indian Hill, along with Madeira and Loveland, which are also quite wealthy.

This line is generally single-track and doesn't have many purpose-built grade crossings or gates out in the country, but it has almost no traffic so it's wide open for regular passenger service.
Well - 130 miles is certainly less than 147 miles, i would place that in the doable list with few upgrades to the track - again assuming it is Class 4 track and not Class 3. I would be surprised to find Class 4 tracks being maintained on a little used rail corridor. If it is class 3, refurbishing the track to Class 4 standard will have to be done - and that is not cheap but neither is it very expensive.