View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

e_r, your wish is my command:
As it should be, odinthor.

So I take it Toberman Street was named after former Los Angeles mayor James R. Toberman. (shown below)

Here's his brief history.

"Portrait of James R. Toberman, who arrived in Los Angeles in 1865 after escaping from Indians in Texas. President Lincoln had appointed him U.S. Revenue Assessor here, and he held this position for 6 years. He was permitted to be an agent for the Wells Fargo Co. at the same time. Toberman served as Mayor of Los Angeles from 1872-1874, and 1878-1882. During his administration the Chamber of Commerce, the Los Angeles Herald, the Athletic Club and the Southern Branch of the University of California were organized. Toberman cut taxes from $1.60 to $1.00 per $100 assessed value. Main Street was paved and the first electric street lights went into operation."

And here is Toberman's residence on Pearl Street. (later Figueroa)

lapl

"Exterior front view of Mayor James R. Toberman's house on Pearl Street near Orange Street in Los Angeles. A second house is seen next door. Palm trees are planted in the yard."

um. .I guess the library's description means Toberman's house is the one at far left, correct?

Excellent job on pinpointing just -where- exactly the photograph was taken, GaylordWilshire. Your map made the eBay photograph all the more interesting.