View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
If they can't get funding in Silicon Valley they couldn't get it in SF. There is alot more money down there for sponsorships etc... than anywhere else in the bay area.

Before the vote Cedar Fair sued the Santa Clara EIR. However, the judge threw the suit out a few weeks before the vote. So they are pretty much forced to go along with the plan.
I'm a huge proponent of moving the 49ers down to Santa Clara (an NFL stadium belongs in a suburban environment, not an urban one, IMO), but I don't particularly buy that there is more money in sponsorships available in the South Bay than in SF for football. Football is pretty regional (only 8-10 home games a year, etc) - if there was a nice, new stadium in SF, it would likely garner the same sponsorships as one in Santa Clara.

Now, if we're talking baseball or basketball (or anything with a lot more home games), I agree with you there. Luxury boxes in a San Jose A's stadium will likely fetch much more than equivalent boxes in a new Oakland-area stadium.