View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 6:39 PM

^ I do understand what you mean by that. One of my instructors in architecture school in reguards to similar facades like this would say "everybody is doing this type of thing, it's really in style." Such a statement worries me, because architecture should never be "in style" Architecture being a fad is far worse. The reasons should be backed up somehow. I think what bothers people the most about these types of buildings is the facade as a wrapper. To many it cheapens the look of the building because in past architecture, the facade was an expression of order and construction of the building. I do in some instances find this building to have a cheaper look to it, but I can see what the architects are trying to get at, and do believe this design has some high value. I just hope that it won't have the ugly colored gray panels I see on it. As far as Greektown goes, I think it's pretty good. The brick base is a gesture towards the materials used on the surrounding buildings. The blue glass tower will be a welcome addition since many of the surrounding towers are ugly concrete.