View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Is there a sense that the NJ part of the NYC metro area is less culturally "New York" than suburbs in NYS?
There is not a blanket answer to this. It all depends on where you're talking about.

But, no -- quite the opposite in many cases. To break it down as simply as possible, many NJ "suburbs" are closer to and more integrated with Manhattan than Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester counties are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Memphis is directly on the Mississippi and thus on the border with Arkansas, but other than west Memphis, there doesn't seem to be much over there, curiously. Maybe it's all too floody?
I think because it's too Arkansasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah the commuting stories are epic. i had people commuting from danbury, bridgeport and the freakin poconos.
When I first heard about it, it was hard for me to comprehend that there is a subset of NYers who willingly commute daily via bus from the Poconos to Manhattan.

Like... catching the bus between 4-5 AM so they can get to work on time, and then not getting back home until 7-8 PM. This is often the trade-off to live in a shitty, vinyl house in a crappy part of PA.

Talk about a living hell of one's own choosing.