View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That area didn't have the big tech tenants it does now, but I don't know if it has ever had large scale vacancies. Pre-2008 that area was still very textiles oriented and looked more rundown than it does now, but it was still mostly occupied. The textiles companies got pushed out post-Financial Crisis as that area became the epicenter of "Silicon Alley".

The Flatiron Building probably hasn't ever been vacant except for maybe transition periods when an old tenant is moving out and a new one coming in.
Kinda, yeah. The textiles area was to the north & west of the park. That area was gritty and not upscale. But very busy and never vacant. Along Broadway was really gritty for a few blocks, where you had lots of bootleg vendors.

But the immediate Madison Square Park area was downright fancy when I worked there, from 1999 through 2003. It was pretty bro-oriented given that Credit Suisse (then Credit Suisse First Boston) had like 5,000 employees in two towers right on the park. Across the park was the Toy Building (the world's largest collection of toy companies) and I think the Flatiron Building office space was occupied by a German publishing firm.