View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Yes, and guess what these setbacks you gave as an example are dictated by? ZONING. These setbacks don't exist because building owners think they make the building look prettier and more distinct. They exist because the zoning text dictates setbacks from the street for a certain distance from the curbline, and setbacks at different heights in order to comply with the sky exposure plane.

So the zoning text is clearly concerned about sunlight. If it were up to the owners & developers, they would maximize building over the entire lot with zero yard space around the building (side yards, back yards, front yards). You say "sunlight should not be a reason why zoning regulations exist", but you probably lack the imagination to see a city full of tall rectangular monoliths crowding up to the narrow sidewalks on both sides of a street if zoning didn't exist. Or you don't care, except to meet your high population density desires. Not sure.

Except for the fact that these taller thinner buildings exist due to zoning regulations. They are required to build on setback on top of a shorter podium (which itself is set back from the streets). Without zoning regulations, you don't get a bunch of tall skinny towers. You get a bunch of shorter massive highrises that crowd entire blocks and loom over narrow sidewalks.
I think we are talking about two different things. Setbacks only exist in NYC in areas with very relaxed zoning, that allows very high FAR. Areas with very strict zoning in NYC have very short squat buildings with no setbacks whatsoever. In majority of NYC, setbacks are not practical precisely due to zoning regulations.
I do not lack imagination either. I just happen to travel to other megacities around the world and see how they build things. Most of your objections about sunlight, mononliths crowing up sidewalks, etc are completely unfounded and demonstrably false. The worst type of urban fabric I encountered is actually masterplanned Le Corbusier tower in the park, NYCHA/commieblock developments and parking podium highrise among nothingness and highways.