View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 12:49 AM
I am a typical

I've been working on one lately, hand-drawn first and then digitized. I do most of my maps in Inkscape as opposed to hand-drawn. I rarely actually finish them...

My current project, laid out on the floor; the colours and lines were added afterward in Inkscape to give me a general idea of where I am going next with the map.

Close up of two panels:

These will be scanned in and stitched together, and then traced in Inkscape to create a map that looks something like this:

This one is based on my city's downtown, flipped horizontally and rotated about 270°. It's a map in progress; I'm slowly going through it to add parking lots. The green ones on the right reflect a different street grid I originally had in that location.

A fictional map I drew a few years ago:

A map I did several days later:

And it's digitized variant, an on-going but slow-moving project. That airport has basically developed in real time... You can see how different the map is now, compared to my original hand-drawn version.

This one is a fictional map that I have used in the past to test colour pallets and techniques. I have developed a comprehensive colour scheme and iconography for my maps.

A hand drawn map in my notebook while looking for work a couple years ago:

This map is one of the oldest I've got, it is using the geography my city is located in, but re-centered and with a different street plan. I was wondering what it might be like if the city was located in a different spot within the valley.