View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
People on this site talk a lot about what they don't like.

I like all businesses that open down town, the more the better. Fact is many people have many different tastes and lots of people are only going to visit chain restaurants. Those bring the people, the local shops are still available to those of us who want something unique.
I'm not totally against chains. But, this is a historic building just outside the Convention Center, and in the middle of a ton of local businesses. Is it so bad to want one of the only historic buildings downtown to have unique, destination-type retail? Hotel Monroe had so many interesting spaces and could have been similar to hotels like the W- more of a nightlife atmosphere. That's still missing downtown, so I think it'd be nice if the retail here is attractive to visitors and gives downtown regulars new options.

I am actually surprised at how few chains opened near ASU. The Pizza Hut is so out of place on Polk... and then there is Subway and El Portal but that's about it. If nothing else, the Taylor Mall retail could've been a good spot vs. office space. Maybe one day, that garage on 1st St will look more like the Fulton Center.