View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:10 PM

Builder picked for New Orleans airport’s overdue I-10 interchange project

The company that will rebuild the Interstate 10 interchange at Loyola Drive in Kenner, to improve vehicle access for Louis Armstrong International Airport’s new passenger terminal, was selected Friday (May 31) by the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development. Gilchrist Construction Co. of Alexandria is expected to start building on the $125.6 million project in early 2020 - months after the terminal opens - and finish in 2023, the transportation department said.

The job calls for adding flyover ramps connecting I-10 directly with new access roads close to the $1 billion terminal, for widening the interchange’s existing ground-level ramps and for related work. The flyover ramps are designed to whisk I-10 traffic to and from the airport without mixing into local traffic on ground-level Loyola Avenue.

The state agency did not immediately release an illustration of Gilchrist’s proposal. But it said the design calls for a “diverging diamond interchange ... that will eliminate the need for a left turn signal. ... The solution would also reconfigure the proposed elevated on and off ramps from New Orleans to a single structure in the median of Airport Access Road" south of Veterans Memorial Boulevard...

https://www.nola.com/politics/2019/0...e-project.html