View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusDoaner View Post
Vallas just said at that transit mayoral meeting that he would clean house at CTA just like he will with CPD. hopefully Dorval Carter gets the boot.

Buckner is nice but from polls he doesnt have a chance. Out of all the people who actually have a chance (Lightfoot, Chuy, Vallas, Johnson, Wilson) Vallas is the most competent and it's not close.

https://twitter.com/EricSpracklen/st...i0kp6ePnQnsIcg

Video on Twitter with 20k retweets, 60k likes. Quote retweets are people all over the world shitting on Chicago and calling it crime ridden. Believe or not, Chicago's brand today is crime unfortunately. Look up Chicago and all you see are crime stories. Cities like NY, LA, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, DC, etc. don't have this reputation. Chicago needs to NOT lead the nation in homicides for atleast 3 years straight and NOT have more homicides than NY & LA combined despite only having 2.7 million people to drip off that nasty reputation. And I think Vallas is the one that can atleast change that. Easily the #1 problem facing the city today.
If your opinion stems from Twitter, which is full of bots and trolls, then you might want to reconsider how you get information on how people think of various things. I'm not saying there's no truth to it, but pointing to Twitter is ridiculous which is known for literal millions of bot and troll accounts. Chicago has been having this type of stereotype for literally well over 100 years. And it started up again even greater in the national psyche after Obama started running for president 15+ years ago and won. I have not lived a single month in Chicago where people whether here or otherwise did not talk about this. My only issue with Vallas is that I don't know whether he can actually do what's necessary to get rid of that stereotype. The city right now, for everything that's gone on, was following national trends with things like murder. In the last 1.5 years, it's been going down a little while some other cities are actually increasing again or staying around the same. I don't know how long you've lived here, or when you have lived here before but you can go back 15 years and it's the same shit in regards to stereotypes. Even in 2014 which was the lowest year for violent crime in Chicago since 1965, this talk was still going on. Unless the murder count somehow goes below 150, this isn't going away anytime soon no matter who is mayor. Even NYC still gets this stereotype years after it cleaned its act up despite it being one of the safest cities in America by rate right now.

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 29, 2023 at 10:00 PM.