View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 12:23 AM

Hotel Marcel --New Haven

This looks like a really cool hotel. I want to check it out one of these days. Marcel Breuer, of course, designed the very similar-looking HHS headquarters in DC.

In New Haven, a Landmark Brutalist Building Becomes America’s First Fossil Fuel-Free Hotel

By Amy Thomas
July 26, 2022
Vogue

Photo courtesy of Vogue.

A Corner King room at Hotel Marcel. (Photo courtesy of Vogue)

"I’m sitting in the sun-filled restaurant of Hotel Marcel in New Haven, Connecticut, marveling at what’s before me. Not the imposing Marcel Breuer-designed brutalist structure itself. Nor that the landmark building sat abandoned for over two decades and now feels fresh and modern. I’m marveling at my latte. Decorated with a perfect foam flourish, delivered at just the right temperature, it was brewed and steamed with electricity from the hotel’s own photovoltaic solar panels. The same is true of every linen that’s laundered, every remote-controlled shade that is lowered, and every warm bath that’s drawn. Hotel Marcel is the country’s first fossil fuel-free hotel.

The property, part of the Tapestry Collection by Hilton, was the brainchild of local architect and developer Bruce Becker. He grew up in New Canaan, Connecticut surrounded by modernist architecture and, like most of us, knows that the effects of climate change are well upon us. “My street fills up with water when there’s a full moon. You don’t need to be a scientist or any sort of expert to know we have to make radical changes,” he says. His firm Becker + Becker is focused on ensuring that their projects don’t negatively impact the environment..."

https://www.vogue.com/article/hotel-marcel-new-haven